TYPOLOGY Architecture, established in 2017, is a boutique practice located in Page, Canberra. Our specialist architectural services serve the Australian Capital Territory. We also serve the NSW South Coast and the NSW Southern Tablelands.
We specialise in considered, contemporary and affordable architecture with a focus place and site-sensitivity. The practice has a specific interest in residential projects. We have extensive experience in both new houses and alterations and additions / extensions to existing houses. We also have extensive experience in multi-unit housing, master planning, commercial and community projects.
TYPOLOGY Architecture employs a rigorous focus on conceptual thinking, quality design and the delivery of comprehensive design and construction documentation. TYPOLOGY Architecture is a small practice and as such, we tend only to take on a few select projects at a time. Our approach, therefore, allows us to guarantee a high level of client focus and service.
Our work mainly focuses on creating contemporary and considered works that provide a strong and integrated connection with site or place. The core ethos of the practice is that all sites and places yield certain experiences for people. Architecture, at all its scales, should attempt to interpret these experiences and provide spaces and forms that are integrated or ‘at one’ with these experiences.
Canberra is a unique landscape, steeped with ancient history, and as the bush capital, our landscape is very important to us. As Canberrans, we have an intimate and emotional connection to our landscape, to the climate, and to the air. Our architecture should build on these connections and provide environments that strengthen our relationship to the landscape. This is the primary challenge that drives all projects that TYPOLOGY Architecture undertakes.
Our philosophy can provide clients, and the broader community with new exciting and possibilities which allows people to create a positive connection to architecture. In both residential and commercial projects, we expertly balance the economic realities and imperatives of contemporary architecture with a phenomenologically sound approach of ‘telling the story’ of a place. Our approach can enable clients to gain an edge in an ever-increasing competitive industry, and in an ever-diligent community, where the overall success of a project can be measured specifically by its ‘completeness’ and its ‘appropriateness’ to its place.
Sean Hogan graduated from the University of Canberra with a Bachelor of Architecture in 2005. He has worked for numerous prominent practices in Canberra, including, Arquitectura, Stewart Architecture and FRONT Architects. Sean Hogan has extensive experience in small and medium scale work including residential alterations and additions, new houses and small commercial. Additionally, he also has extensive expertise on large projects including multi-residential, mixed-use, precinct and master planning. Sean Hogan was the Practice Director of FRONT Architects, the in-house design practice, for the high profile Canberra developer, JWLand. His role within FRONT Architects was to lead the design on all projects, oversee and manage project teams and client liaison. Whilst at FRONT Architects, he led the following projects:
- Siena Apartments. Part of the C5 Precinct in Campbell, Sean Hogan was the design architect and led the construction documentation on the project. This included managing the design and consultant team.
- Founders Lane Master Plan. Sean Hogan was the design architect for the master planning work. This included setting all the site design principles, narrative development and massing studies. He also led the discussion with ACTPLA and with the government planning group.
- The Mark and Founders Lane North. Sean Hogan was the design architect for this project. This included managing the consultant team, leading the community consultation sessions, liaison with ACTPLA and the ACT Government.
- Pablo Sales Gallery. Sean Hogan was the design architect and led the construction documentation on the project. This included managing the design and consultant team.
His extensive experience includes:
- Conceptual sketch design work.
- Master planning and feasibility work.
- Documentation and coordination including leading consultant teams through construction documentation phases.
- Contract administration.
Sean Hogan is the Principal Architect and Primary Nominee of TYPOLOGY Architecture.